Summer is a great time for you to enjoy various indoor and outdoor activities. Here are a couple tips to keep you and your family safe and healthy while enjoying summer fun.
- Never swim alone.
- Always supervise your children when in or around water.
- Never go in the water unless you know how to swim; swim lessons are available for all ages.
- Swim in areas supervised by a lifeguard.
- Learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). Your CPR skills could save someone’s life.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF (sun protection factor) 15 and UVA (ultraviolet A) and UVB (ultraviolet B) protection every time you and your family go outside.
- Never leave infants, children, or pets in a parked car, even if the windows are cracked open.
- Dress infants and children in loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Schedule outdoor activities carefully, for morning and evening hours.
- Stay cool with cool showers or baths.
- Get acquainted with traffic laws; cyclists must follow the same rules as motorists.
- Never hitch onto or ride in between cars.
- Make sure the bike is equipped with reflectors on the rear, front, pedals and spokes.
- A horn or bell and a rear-view mirror, as well as a bright headlight, also is recommended.
- Use hand signals when turning and use extra care at intersections.
- Check to make sure that the surfaces under playground equipment are safe, soft, and well-maintained.
- Supervise young children at all times around fall hazards, such as stairs and playground equipment.
- Make sure your children wear appropriate clothing.
- Use an effective insect repellent while playing outdoors.
- Make your backyard a tick-safe zone.
- Check yourself and your children for ticks. Ticks are easy to remove.