By Claire Brady
Community Health Education Coordinator
This mango black bean salad is one of my favorite summer recipes, and it has always been a big hit at summer potlucks and barbecues. I have also introduced it to HHC patients as part of our cooking classes!
This is a perfect recipe for the early summer months of June and July because mangoes are in season and often on sale this time of year.
- 1 bunch of kale or head of romaine lettuce
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- Other possible toppings: pumpkin seeds, jicama, corn
- 1 large or 2 small ripe avocado(s)
- 1/3 cup lime juice or the juice of 3 limes
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¾ cup chopped cilantro
- Dash of salt
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper or ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
To make the dressing, mash the avocado, add lime juice, and continue to mash until the dressing is smooth and creamy. Add the cilantro and spices. When complete, mix the dressing into the kale until the kale is well coated. Prepare the vegetables and other toppings for the salad, and add to the kale and dressing. Enjoy!