HHC Devon Community Health Nurse Heidi Spielmaker enjoys going on camping trips in the summer, and says this whole grain pancake recipe makes cooking while camping healthy, easy, and delicious, for any meal. On the origin of the recipe, Heidi says:
“These were created so that when we go camping we can easily have healthy and FAST pancakes, only adding a few items at time of cooking. They cook up so yummy and you can add more or less milk to your desired thickness. Now, sit by the campfire and enjoy these for any meal!! Don’t forget to add maple syrup and butter!”
This recipe can also simply be made over the stove at home, and preparing the dry ingredients in advance is a great way to save time.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of cornmeal
- ½ cup of old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1 Tbs of cinnamon
Then pack the following items in the cooler to mix with dry at time of cooking:
- Add 2 Tbs of pure maple syrup
- 1 small container of natural apple sauce ( I bring the pre-packed plastic cups without corn syrup or sugar)
- ½ to 1 cup of almond, soy or regular milk, whatever you wish
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries!
Mix dry ingredients together in advance and place in sealed container. When ready to cook, add maple syrup, apple sauce, milk, and blueberries. Pour batter into a nonstick pan over a fire, or just on the stove, and cook each side until done.