Health Education is one way we help you achieve good health. We offer workshops, wellness activities, and information to assist you with managing your own health.
- See our Calendar to view our current schedule of health and wellness programs.
- Sign Up for Classes using this form.
- Visit Health information for health care articles, tips and recipes from Heartland Health Centers physicians and staff.
Individual Health Education
AmeriCorps health educators from National Health Corps-Chicago provide individual health education in English and Spanish at our community and school health centers. They can help you learn about healthy lifestyle choices and make action plans to meet your goals. Ask your provider for a referral if you would like to meet with a health educator or call your health center to make an appointment.
Group Health Education and Wellness Classes
- The Cooking Matters program teaches participants to prepare and shop for healthy, budget-friendly meals and learn about nutrition and healthy lifestyle habits. We offer classes for adults, as well as family friendly cooking classes for parents and children. This class is available in English and Spanish.
- We offer the American Lung Association’s Freedom from Smoking program, rated the most effective program at helping participants quit smoking. Through this eight-week program, we guide participants in overcoming the physical, mental, and social aspects of nicotine addiction. READ MORE
- Mindfulness based stress reduction has been proven to be a great addition to medications for dozens of medical conditions, both physical and mental. Join this class to learn to practice mindfulness and improve your health and life! READ MORE
- Participants will learn to better manage diabetes through healthy eating, exercise, regular blood sugar tracking, and stress management. Connect with other patients with diabetes so you can share ideas and learn from one another. This class is available in English and Spanish.
- We offer a weekly chronic pain management group incorporating Tai Chi, Acupuncture, and pain management education. Acupuncture drop-in sessions and a second weekly Tai Chi group are also available.
This group is open to any current patients who use alcohol or other drugs. We will focus on learning more about substances and their use as well as how to reduce the harm of using substances. This is a drop-in group and patients are welcome to join at any time.
- Join us every Tuesday for an afternoon of knitting, a skill that can help you relax and be mindful while creating something beautiful. We incorporate relaxation exercises and share food. All experience levels, from beginners to experts, are welcome. Materials are donated from local stores.
- Our weekly walking group meets at the Devon Health Center for a 40 minute walk around the Loyola University campus and discussion of health and wellness topics. Offered from April-November weather permitting.
- Practicing yoga can help you increase strength and flexibility and reduce stress and anxiety. Our classes are open to all and no experience is necessary.
- Zumba is a fun way to exercise while dancing to upbeat music. Our zumba class is low-impact and suitable for all fitness levels.
- Join HHC in working on a community garden plot near our Devon Health Center. Learn to prepare a garden bed, plant and grow vegetables, and take fresh vegetables home when they are ready to harvest.
For more information or if you are interested in one of these classes, please call 312-718-0660 or fill out our interest form.