LaNealya’s healthy spin on a cultural favorite!
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 lean turkey sausages with casings removed (about 8 ounces)
- 1 pound collard greens thoroughly wash stems removed and leaves chopped
In a small bowl, mix together first five ingredients (spices). Set aside.
Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a large sauté pan on medium-hig heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes, until softened. Add turkey sausage and half of spice mixture and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, for about 3 minutes, until browned.
Remove from pan, leaving as much oil as possible in the pan.
Stir 1 teaspoon olive oil, collard greens, and remaining spice mixture into pan. Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle in some water to ensure greens don’t burn.
Remove lid, stir, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes to desired tenderness.
Stir every few minutes. Add sausage mixture back to pan, stir, and cook for 1 more minute, until heated through. Serve immediately.